Index.dat export to Excel issues with dates

For support & general discussion of Index Dat Spy

Index.dat export to Excel issues with dates

Postby Michael » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:17 am

When exporting to a CSV or text files, I'm having trouble with the data formats being recognized as dates in Excel 2000.

"20 Feb 2007, 11:49"

I wanted to sort by access date/time but Excel only sorts this as a number. Is there a way to change the format of those times so they are recognized as date/times by Excel. I'm tried some locale settings to see if that would help but no dice so far.

Thanks and it's a great tool.
Michael

Postby sgould » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:49 pm

Michael,

This is a good question and no one has asked it before. :-) Once you have opened the CSV file in Excel, you could use the Data, Text to Columns... option on the date/time fields to separate out the date (fixed width of 11) and the time (fixed width of 4 characters). Then you should be able to sort on these - either date and time, or just time of day.

Steve
sgould
Site Admin
Site Admin

That Solved It

Postby Michael » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:12 pm

That did it. I was tracking down some malware on a system and the time stamp sorting makes it much easier to locate. Thanks for the help.

I learned something about Excel at the same time. That's a very nice feature to know about.
Michael

Postby sgould » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:55 pm

You're welcome. :D Just out of curiosity what malware were you able to track down using Index Dat Spy and how? :?:
sgould
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Michael » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:26 am

Virus software forwarded me an email that there was a problem on a machine that showed up in the browser cache after they visited a website.

I used the indexdatspy to review their browsing before and after that event that was flagged. It provided the root cause website that started the entire thing.

They started at a RingTone website, that forwarded them to another website and the third redirect one down the list is what was detected as malware by the virus protection software during the full system scan. So using your tool, I was able to determine root cause and block it.

Your tool made it possible to see all that activity in an easy to review format. I'm sure I could have gone into their cache directory and reviewed it, but it's easier to use your tool.

Now that I have the export to CSV working so I can sort dates and time in Excel, I can also include that information in reports. Another benefit is that I can copy the index.dat from the system to hold for future analysis without having to isolate the system. This gets the computer back to the user quickly.

It's a great tool and thanks for working on it.
Michael

Kaspersky

Postby timkat » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:12 am

You should try with Kaspersky now, if everything failed you. This is one of the best anti-virus software nowadays and it's impossible not to help you in your problem. I use it too so I can say that it's very good.
timkat

Return to Index Dat Spy General Discussion