Index Dat Spy crashing

For support & general discussion of Index Dat Spy

Index Dat Spy crashing

Postby Frazzle » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:58 pm

I'm finding that Index Dat Spy (IDS) is crashing if I try to open an index from the account I'm logged into in XP Pro (SP2). First I get a dialog "Failed to open document", and once I okay that I get exception 0xc0000005 at address 0x0000000000402f5c.

Please let me know if any more info (hardware/software) would be useful. Thanks!
Frazzle

Postby sgould » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:34 am

It may be that the index.dat file you are trying to open is of a different format/version than those supported by Index Dat Spy. Could you e-mail me a copy of the index.dat file you're having trouble opening?

Thanks,

Steve
sgould
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Frazzle » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:51 pm

Will do, Steve -- thanks.
Frazzle

Postby Frazzle » Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:10 pm

Were you able to spot anything worthwhile? :)
Frazzle

IDS crashes when trying to read the "big" Index.da

Postby ebruskin » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:42 pm

I just installed IDS. I pointed it to the "big" index.dat, the one in my ...\History\History.IE5 directory.

IDS says "failed to read file" and crashes, no matter what I try.

Seeing the moderator's question to the prior poster, I have to say that this is the quintessential Index.dat, isn't it?

Is there a size limit on the Index.dat's that IDS can read?

I have no problem with analogous Index.dat's for two other little-used accounts on my laptop: Panasonis Toughbook W2 running XP Pro SP2 fully patched, antivirused, antispywared and firewalled.

Any suggestions?

-- Eric
ebruskin

Postby peter » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:52 am

I've been using IDS for internal Compliance use.

My main issue is getting "Failed to open document" errors. Even when I copy Index.DAT files onto a separate PC I get the message. The original source PC was at log-on stage in XP when I took the Index files so I suspect they shouldn't have been in memory or in use at the time

Anyone got any ideas?

Thnx & Regards

Peter
peter

Postby sgould » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:42 am

I have successfully copied index.dat files from one machine to another and opened them with Index Dat Spy. But a few questions for you:

- What version of Internet Explorer is installed on the machine you are trying to copy from?

- Have you tried booting into Safe Mode before copying from that machine?

- What errors are you getting? Are they from Index Dat Spy or Windows? If produced by Index Dat Spy, this may mean that the index.dat file is of an unsupported file version (which is why I asked the first question).

Oh, and I'm not sure whether you are correct in assuming that the files should not be in memory or in use just because a machine is at the log-on stage. There may be one or two of the system index.dat files in use even without anyone logging on.
sgould
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Index Dat Spy General Discussion