Entry Details

For support & general discussion of Index Dat Spy

Entry Details

Postby steve76063 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:37 am

First of all, GREAT little utility! I was thinking of doing one myself, so I first searched the net for one and found yours...it does 95% of what I wanted, so why re-invent the wheel?

I did find some inconsistencies with the 'View Entry Details' messagebox.
1) the Record Number reported in the 'Details' screen is option base 0, while the 'No.' on the main display is option base 1, so the Detail number is always 1 less than the main screen's.
2) the Modified and Accessed dates on the Detail screen are identical, but they are different (and I assume correct) in the main display.

FWIW, I'm running version 2.0 (copyright 2004! Is there a newer version available?) on an XP machine running IE7, reading the history copied from another XP machine also running IE7. Surprisingly, I can't seem to locate the index.dat on the machine that IDS is actually running on?

Anyway, like I said, GREAT little program! Thanks.
steve76063

Postby sgould » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:56 pm

Thanks! For both the kind remarks/compliments and the EXCELLENT feedback. The latest version should be 2.0.1 (from 2005). Nothing much has changed since then - I've been working mostly on the web site and on CleanUp! 5.0 since then.

To respond to your two point:

1. Good catch. You are the first person to point that out! I'll fix it in the next release - due out very soon.
2. Again, another good catch. I'll fix that too.

Look out for version 2.0.2 this weekend when I hope to have a little more time to spend on it.

Thanks again for the excellent feedback. :-D

Steve
sgould
Site Admin
Site Admin

Index Dat Spy 2.1 now available

Postby sgould » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:11 pm

steve76063,

I've just uploaded version 2.1.0 of Index Dat Spy. The download page includes a more detailed version history but, in summary, here are the main changes for this release:

- Modified to better handle unexpected "garbage" records (i.e. those that are not URL, HASH, LEAK, REDR, etc.) often seen under Windows Vista. Files like this previously would result in the message, "Failed to open document".

- In View Entry Details, a non-existant URL still displayed the label "URL: " followed by garbage.

- Bug fix (reported by steve76063): In View Entry Details, theLast Modified date and time were always the same as the Last Accessed date and time, even when they were different in the main view.

- Bug fix (reported by steve76063): In View Entry Details, the "Record Number" reported in the Details screen starts at 0 whereas the "No." on the main display starts at 1, so the Detail number is always 1 less than in the main view.

- Updated URL for support forum in the About dialog.

Let me know if this works for you. Thanks again for the excellent feedback and bug reports.

Steve
sgould
Site Admin
Site Admin

Data field blamk

Postby peterb » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:41 pm

Just downloaded index.dat spy v 2.1 onto a basic win2k machine (no service packs) for a research project.

Program runs, but the data field after type is blank, where I was expecting the URL of the page visited to be shown. the file fields show the files accessed on going to a URL so the relevant index,dat is being read, but is this a parsing error, or some other problem?

Apart from this, it looks to be a really great utility!
peterb

hi

Postby sweet123 » Mon May 24, 2010 10:46 pm

type the start & end time in the corresponding text box directly to get the exact segment.

Supernatural Season 5 DVD Boxset
Trauma Season 1 DVD Boxset
sweet123

Return to Index Dat Spy General Discussion