Private eye, network admin use?

For support & general discussion of Private Eye

Private eye, network admin use?

Postby ralphg » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:52 am

Just downloaded the trial version, and immediately found the data I was looking for locally. Is it possible to use this utility on other network nodes?

If I import the remote node registry, can it then be accessed locally?

Great product, regards,

RG
ralphg

Postby sgould » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:18 am

RG,

That's a good - no, great - question! 8)

Unfortunately, I don't think you'd be able to do that with Private Eye as-is. Private Eye uses various undocumented or poorly documented parts the Windows API to read the "Protected Storage". Though I'm curious to find out, I've not yet had the time to find out where/how the protected storage actually gets saved to disk. It must somehow, but I don't know if it is hidden/burried somewhere in the registry or whether it is stored is some other file(s). If you can shed some light on this, I'd be very interested.

:idea: The only thing I can suggest for now - and I don't even know if this is possible - is if you can find someway of making the remote registry appear like the local registry (similar, but different to the UNIX chroot command). Then run Private Eye and see if that turns up anything.

Anyway, your idea/request is a great one and would be something I'd like to implement if at all possible. But then imagine the possible security issues with that! :)

Steve
sgould
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ralphg » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:08 pm

It seems most of the "protected data" is stored in several index.dat files. I have found a few, but it's been kinda hit and miss.

Yes, there would be lots of security issues, but generally if your company owns the network and states policy, remote access is fair game, and unfortunately many times required to protect the company from errant users.

There is a product that provides this admin function for outlook/exchange, but I haven't found one that is for IE specifically.

Thanks,

RG
ralphg

Postby pud » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:54 am

forgive my ignorance if my knowledge isn't quite up to scratch on this topic but would the connect network registry option in regedit help in this case?
pud

Postby ralphg » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:14 am

pud,

that's the first thing I tried, with no success. I also tried to "fool" the program into looking at a local copy of the remote data with no luck.

RG
ralphg

Return to Private Eye General Discussion