Private Eye high risk infection?

For support & general discussion of Private Eye

Private Eye high risk infection?

Postby laverneami » Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:43 am

I am running version 3.0.2 of Private Eye. Spyware Doctor has specified Private Eye as a high risk infection and shows the information below about it. Are these descriptions true?

Quote: Private Eye is a PC activity monitoring tool. It records all keystrokes including usernames, passwords, credit card numbers, all emails, chat sessions, instant messages and websites visited (i.e. anything that is typed). It has the ability to take snapshots of the system at regular intervals and the registered version claims that it can run in stealth mode. Removal of this software is advisable if it is not installed for a purpose.

Infection - High risk
Above is from running Spyware Doctor
September 28, 2005

Thank you.
Laverne
laverneami

Postby sgould » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:27 pm

It sounds like Spyware Doctor has this Private Eye (http://privateeye.stevengould.org) confused with some other program called Private Eye. Contact the authors of Spyware Doctor to have them verify this and provide an update.

The Private Eye discussed on these forums does not record any keystrokes or take snapshots of the system at regular intervals. Additionally, it does not have anything like a stealth mode.

See also the similar thread regarding Webroot Spysweeper.

Thanks,

Steven Gould
sgould
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby laverneami » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:43 pm

Hi Steven,

Thank you for your reply. I have contacted Spyware Doctor tech support via email about listing Private Eye as a high risk keylogger, etc. I have received this response from them. When I hear further, I will post the result.

Laverne

from Spyware Doctor tech support: 10-9-2005
Thanks for the information. I have escalated this information to our Malware Research Center. I will get back to you as soon as possible with further information.
laverneami

Postby laverneami » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:26 pm

Well, Steven, I have just heard from the Spyware Doctor people. You were right. Private Eye is not the malware they had rated it as. Here is their email. Laverne

From Spyware Doctor tech support:
Our Malware Research Center has advised that this was a false detection.

The false detection will be removed in our next database release due in the next 48 hours.

Thanks for pointing this out to us.

Kind Regards,

Gary Arnold
Technical Support Team Manager
laverneami

Postby sgould » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:35 am

Great. Thanks for following-up and letting everyone else know. :D
sgould
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Private Eye General Discussion