I'd like to save the history folder for IE

For support & general discussion of Windows CleanUp!

Moderator: rec46

I'd like to save the history folder for IE

Postby babaganoosh » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:54 am

Is there a way to keep cleanup form deleting the history folder? I want to be able to see where I've been.

Basically, the ONLY thing I want it to delete is the IE cache files. I back up the entire docs and settings folder and if I am including all those temp cache files, the backups will be huge. But I need / want to keep the history of sites I've been to.

THANKS FOR A GREAT PROGRAM!
babaganoosh

Postby babaganoosh » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:02 am

and I'd like to save the recent docs folder also.
babaganoosh

Postby babaganoosh » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:14 am

I was playing with the settings but it seems that recent and history are just part of basic - can't avoid them from even the most rudimentary cleaning?!
babaganoosh

Postby sgould » Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:47 am

babaganoosh wrote:I was playing with the settings but it seems that recent and history are just part of basic - can't avoid them from even the most rudimentary cleaning?!

That's correct. There is no option to preserve these. CleanUp! was designed to be as easy to use as possible for the majority of users. By adding too many options, it will more than likely end up confusing things for many users.

I've been considering developing a "Professional" version of CleanUp! that allows more advanced users to control every aspect of what CleanUp! deletes. However, for now, this is just a thought. :-)

Steve
sgould
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby babaganoosh » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:00 pm

You do have that sliding control on how thorough the app is. I know something like history and recent docs to one person is trash and to another it's valuable, but It IS one of the items that you could debate - clean / not clean. Where deleting all the temp directories and *.tmp files woud have a lot less (none) issue of someone saying - wait, I'd like those files. If that's the case, they shouldn't even be using the app at all?

Which brings up a point - is there any documentation about what exactly 'cleanUp! all users does? There may be apps / folders that are / aren't getting cleaned and I'd like to know what they are.

THANKS!

Do you see any changes about these happening in the short term? Weeks?

Do you know of other apps that may cost more but offer more flexibility?

Thanks!
babaganoosh

Postby sgould » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:09 pm

babaganoosh wrote:Which brings up a point - is there any documentation about what exactly 'cleanUp! all users does? There may be apps / folders that are / aren't getting cleaned and I'd like to know what they are.

Since the details of this vary by version, I've included a list of what exactly CleanUp! deletes in the CleanUp! Help file. I try to keep this as up-to-date as possible.

Steve
sgould
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Antwon » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:32 am

I'd just like to input:

My dad has two computers. He has his own, and he has the one he lets me use. He claims I use it to much, so he threw this thing called Access Denied on it.

Ignore everything I just said.

Now, he watches my every move on the computer, including the History in IE. I don't use IE thoguh, I use FireFox. The problem is, that CleanUp! deletes the history in IE, which my dad tracks everyday on. Of course, I run CleanUp!, and wam, gone, and I get grounded. Like, for a long time. Meaning, no computer.

Now, I like the idea of a Professional CleanUp!. It MUST INCLUDE an option to NOT delete the history in IE, or whatever other broswers you have, which would be cool if you could automatically detect that.

Until then, I'm stuck with about 1 gigabyte stolen in trash, and I really need the CleanUp! Staff to hurry up and make it.

Thanks for the support and help! I hope I'll be able to donate enough for at least a CleanUp! Installation disk soon, and that everything will run out smoothly.

Thanks again!

-Antwon-
Antwon

Return to CleanUp! General Discussion