Deleted some personal files..how can I recover them please?

For support & general discussion of Windows CleanUp!

Moderator: rec46

Deleted some personal files..how can I recover them please?

Postby Rickc » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:49 pm

Call me newbe...I have a directory on C called TEMP with sub directories called TEMP 1 to 9. This is where I "hold" files. I just filled up TEMP 5 with all my family pictures and Videos from my old computer. Well you gessed it they are all gone.
I did not know this software was going to delete TEMP directories I just thought temp files from surfing or from installed software temp files. I removed the check mark from the recycle bin but the deleted fies are not put there.

Is there a way of recover these (this) deleted directory and all the pics and vids?
My wife is going to kill me but I might kill myself first.
Any help much apprecaited.
Thanks RickC
Rickc

Postby sgould » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:51 pm

Rick,

I'm sorry to hear that you lost files you wanted to keep. But we do strongly recommend that you backup your files before you first run CleanUp! Since I realize that that is easier said than done, I implemented the "demo mode" to show users what would be deleted if they ran CleanUp! for real.

If you just transferred the files from your old computer, how did you do that? Can you repeat that exercise to restore the files?

Steve
sgould
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rickc » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:02 am

Thank you for your reply Steve. Unfortunately I did a cut and paste as I knew I would eventually have to DEL the files anyway.
There is another post below mine with the same problem. I am definitely no the only one to do this and I am sure there are others who just do not want to admit they lost files.

I will be removing your software from my laptop. There are lots of programs that are better than yours. They will give you a list of files found THEN and only THEN ask if you really want to DEL these files. Your software just goes ahead and does it. I thought your software would DEL *.tmp files not files in a TEMP directory.
Quite frankly I think your software is dangerous..at least this one.

However there is light at the end of the tunnel to others who accidentally do what I have done. There is freeware called restoration.zip available. I got back pretty well everything I lost. Some pics where cut in half. IMPORTANT do nothing to your PC before you do a restore search otherwise you will not get stuff back.

It would be nice if this thread was left here to help others since this WEB site has a lot of lookers and no helpers.
RickC
Rickc

Postby sgould » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:33 pm

Rickc,

Thanks for the follow-up. Like I said before, I try to do all I can to warn first time users. CleanUp! and any other similar products are, by their very nature, "dangerous". They are designed to remove files from your machine. If you do not take the time to understand what files will be removed then there is always a risk that there are some deleted that you wanted to keep.

With CleanUp! 4.5 you are given the option of seeing what files would be deleted on the first time you run it - this is what is referred to as "demo mode". I'm assuming you did not try that first.

You may be pleased to know that one of the things I am working on for CleanUp! 5.0 is providing a complete list of all files that CleanUp! found then letting the user review them before it actually deletes them. Still with tens of thousands of files to "review" it is always possible that you may miss some that you wanted to keep.

Steve
sgould
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rickc » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:20 pm

Steve,
I am now seeing the errors I made in downloading your software.
1: I got it off of a freeware download site. There there was very little info about the software other than it deletes unwanted temporary files.
2: I downloaded Version 4. This one does not have the DEMO MODE.

I humbly submit to you I have just downloaded V4.5.2 from YOUR WEB site and read that YUP it will blow away TEMP directories.
I like what you have said about V5 and I look forward to it becoming available.
With thanks Rick C
Rickc

Postby Silen » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:55 am

Ricks, never say die! You can probably recover all of your family pictures and videos from your old computer with Advanced File Recovery. Try it to be sure about it. Good luck!
Silen

Return to CleanUp! General Discussion