Promiseing but Buggy

For support & general discussion of Windows CleanUp!

Moderator: rec46

Promiseing but Buggy

Postby sposes » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:23 pm

Looks like a promiseing application to replace my CCleaner however some bugs need to be ironed out. I ran Version 4.0 of this app on my moms computer and watched carefully as it started to delete important stuff, I stoped the process and uninstalled the app imediatly after noteing what it had removed.

C:\Documents and Settings\Mary Blakelock\My Documents\My Pictures\Temptations Patterns\Temp-6222-Bah Humbug\Bah Humbug_FC.jpeg - deleted

bunch more

C:\Documents and Settings\Mary Blakelock\My Documents\My Pictures\Signatures\Elvis Signatures\SSC_Mary_ED.jpeg - deleted
C:\Documents and Settings\Mary Blakelock\My Documents\My Pictures\Quick Count Patterns by Uniek\QC-Bunny Puppet\Bunny puppet fc.jpeg - deleted

bunch more

There does not seem to have any logic behind these deletions. Needles to say this very much upset my mom and myself. Luckily there was only a few files that were lost due to me terminateing the clean, and she can get them back. Hope you fix this major bug.

A sugestion would be don't asume that if a file or path has temp in its name that it is a temp file. And as for the other files, what pattern was being matched there.

Ah well it seems like a young chick. Thats to be expected, but why is there a bunch of new features planed for 4.5 when there are bugs to fix. As features are added we should expect more bugs. But bugs aside it did clean alot of temp files ive never heard of.
sposes

Re: Promiseing but Buggy

Postby sgould » Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:26 pm

sposes wrote:Luckily there was only a few files that were lost due to me terminateing the clean, and she can get them back.

This is exactly the reason why I recommend making a backup before running CleanUp!, CCleaner or any other similar utility for the first time. These utilities are designed to delete files. If they delete a file or two that you really wanted to keep then the only sure way of recovering the file(s) is from a backup.

sposes wrote:And as for the other files, what pattern was being matched there.

That depends on the settings defined in the Options dialog. You can customize this - a very powerful, but also dangerous feature (if used carelessly). I've actually added a warning when you enable this in the latest CleanUp! 4.5 beta release.

sposes wrote:Ah well it seems like a young chick.

"Young" in human years perhaps. But CleanUp! 1.0 was released back in 1998! :D

sposes wrote:Thats to be expected, but why is there a bunch of new features planed for 4.5 when there are bugs to fix.

CleanUp! 4.5 is intended in large part as a bug fix release. And the new features are intended to help diagnose user-configuration problems more quickly and easily.

sposes wrote:As features are added we should expect more bugs.

Quite possibly, but hopefully not. That depends in part on the quality of the new code as well as the quality of the beta testing done. How would you feel about testing the latest beta release - which IMHO is "safer" than CleanUp! 4.0?

Steve
sgould
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sposes » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:40 am

Your correct, I should have backed them up before hand, ah well she is getting the stuff back. These were the default settings though, im woundering if the built in rules for pattern matching need to be tweaked.

Did another cleanup today, everything backed up on my computer this time, again standard settings:

C:\Program Files\PeerGuardian2\lists\3122820889.list - deleted
C:\Program Files\PeerGuardian2\lists\2135639521.list - deleted
C:\Program Files\PeerGuardian2\lists\3844024170.list - deleted
C:\Program Files\PeerGuardian2\lists\387589990.list - deleted
C:\Program Files\PeerGuardian2\lists\3850647840.list - deleted
sposes

Postby sgould » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:21 pm

The standard settings have worked well for the last 7 years with various versions of Windows. :-) Unfortunately, more recently they seem to be somewhat less appropriate - e.g. Microsoft Office 2003 uses *.BAK for a required file and something other than a backup. It also appears that some of the DOS file names (which still underlie all Windows filenames) are getting created in ways that cause problems (this may be the case that you've recently encountered). One of the rules - *.*~ or *~.* - (I can't remember which now) caused problems with the Windows XP Luna theme because the name was converted to the DOS name luna.th~. If you want to get a little more detailed, I think the implementation of the Windows file find functionality was changed in Windows XP.

If you're comfortable with DOS, then try going into your C:\Program Files\PeerGuardian2\lists\ directory, and typing
Code: Select all
dir /x

Then look at the DOS 8.3 filenames that are listed.

Still, you have a valid point that the default settings (now) need to be "tweaked". In fact, in CleanUp! 4.5 beta 5 this option is no longer one of the standard (default) settings, and when/if the user enables the option they are warned and prompted to validate the settings before using them.

Steve
sgould
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sposes » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:10 pm

the upcomeing -demo command line looks promeising, I was gona say yes you can use me as a beta tester but only prob is the third computer which I would use for the beta testing is in my closet right now and im not sure it has a hard drive. Ill work on getting it back up and running and when I do ill give you a shout and we can agree to some beta testing.

I am still curious why it matched temptations on moms machine, is there some built in patterns that are not listed ie temp*

I wouldent see ~*.* as being a problem because if an app is silly enought to name files that way, many cleanup programs trash tilde files.

I understand about dos 8.3 file naming, but why is it this would cause a problem, is the part of your code that treverses through the hard drive only picking up the dos names, if so I used to mess around with c++ and Win32 API, I recall makeing a peice of code that treveresed through the drive, reading each filename into a buffer. Maybe we can brainstorm?
sposes

Return to CleanUp! General Discussion