%windir%/registration folder

For support & general discussion of Windows CleanUp!

Moderator: rec46

%windir%/registration folder

Postby joycej53 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:06 am

I am not sure this is the proper forum but here goes. I just got a zdnet newsletter titled Critical Windows patch may wreak PC havoc. I spent about an hour reading about this and going to support.microsoft.com for further instructions. I am not currently having any problems but I do not know if that patch has already downloaded or not. To get to the point--the Resolutions says go to the folder referenced in the subject line and restore default permissions to the COM+ catalog. I did a search for that folder and came up with nothing. Seems I did a similar search not long ago with the % signs and found a folder but it was empty. Does CleanUp delete anything with % signs? If so would a backup or system restore have done any good? I do use system restore but not on a regular basis before running CleanUp. I am running Windows XP and patches are automatic.
Joyce
joycej53
Active - 10 posts
Active - 10 posts

Postby sgould » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:57 am

Joyce,

By default CleanUp! does not specifically delete files with a "%" in their title. But, if such a file is in say your TEMP folder then it would be deleted.

You mention support.microsoft.com and COM+ but don't give details about the specific article you are referring to. Can you either give us the title of the article on the Microsoft web site, the document reference number or the URL? That may help someone answer your question.

Steve
sgould
Site Admin
Site Admin

zdnet News Alert about Microsoft Patch

Postby joycej53 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:09 pm

I did not know exactly what I needed to clarify and I could not find an URL but I copied the article and hope it is not too long. Here it is:
Critical Windows patch may wreak PC havoc By Joris Evers, CNET News.com
Published on ZDNet News: October 14, 2005, 6:36 PM PT

Forward in EMAIL Format for PRINT ZDNet Tags: Microsoft Windows Security threats Personal computers Firewalls Security applications/tools Microsoft Corp
A Microsoft patch meant to fix critical security flaws in Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 is causing trouble for some users, the company said Friday.

The patch was released Tuesday to fix four Windows flaws, including one that experts predict will be exploited by a worm in the coming days. The flaw, tagged "critical" by Microsoft, lies in a Windows component for transaction processing called the Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator, or MSDTC.

Installing the patch can cause serious problems, Microsoft said in an advisory posted to its Web site Friday. The patch could lock users out of their PC, prevent the Windows Firewall from starting, block certain applications from running or installing, and empty the network connections folder, among other things, the software maker said.

The trouble appears to occur only when default permission settings on a Windows directory have been changed, according to Microsoft. The software maker has received "limited reports" of problems from customers but is still investigating the issue, a representative said.

Even if users experience PC trouble after installing the patch, they will still be protected against any attack exploiting the Windows flaw, a Microsoft representative said. The patch was delivered with Microsoft security bulletin MS05-051.

To resolve any problems caused by the MS05-051 patch, users should restore the default permissions for the Windows folder and the COM+ catalog. A guide is available on the Microsoft Web site, and steps start with changing the permissions on the "registration" folder in the Windows directory.

Joyce
joycej53
Active - 10 posts
Active - 10 posts

Postby sgould » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:07 am

Joyce,

I finally got around to looking into this. The problem is discussed on the Microsoft support web site under Knowledge Base article 909444. It is referring to the:
Code: Select all
%windir%\registration
directory. The "%" signs used like that is just the Windows/Microsoft way of referring to an "environment setting", i.e. something specific to your machine. In this case, they mention %windir% which refers to your Windows installation directory so the %windir%\registration directory is the folder or directory underneath your Windows directory (which is probably something like c:\windows).

If you're interested, you can find the value of %windir% on your machine by doing the following:

1. Open up a DOS window - the easiest way to do this is to click Start, Run, then type in
cmd
(and click OK).

2. In the DOS command window, type:
echo %windir%
(and press Enter)

It should display for you the setting of %windir% on your machine. When you're finished you can close the DOS window by clicking on the "X" in the top-right of the window (as with most other Windows programs).

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other questions,

Steve
sgould
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby joycej53 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:18 pm

Thanks, Steve, for taking the time and trouble to look into this. I am not having any trouble since getting the critical updates so I will leave well enough alone. I ventured into DOS only once and was really lost without the mouse! So don't think I will go there unless I have to.
Thanks again.
Joyce
joycej53
Active - 10 posts
Active - 10 posts

Return to CleanUp! General Discussion