just started w/ Cleanup and DAT Spy but the dat files remain

For support & general discussion of Windows CleanUp!

Moderator: rec46

just started w/ Cleanup and DAT Spy but the dat files remain

Postby bushido » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:50 am

I can find and look at the dat files with spy, then I run cleanup. After a logout and restart, I run Spy again and the dat files are still there with all the same info in them. Am I missing something or doing something wrong?

XP Pro
Version 2002
SP 2
bushido

Postby sgould » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:02 am

See the FAQ that addresses this. Which index.dat files specifically are you referring to?
sgould
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bushido » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:44 pm

Thanks for the response. The dat file I'm referring to specifically is in the internet temp folder. I run Cleanup, shut the machine down, restart it and use Dat Spy to view the dat file. It shows all the info still in there same as it did before running Cleanup.
bushido

Postby sgould » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:43 pm

See also the FAQ: CleanUp! didn't delete some of my Temporary Internet Files. What's wrong? Sorry, I should have pointed you to this one first! :oops:

Steve
sgould
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bushido » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:09 pm

Thanks Steve. I've run cleanup several times, either rebooting or shutting down the computer after each time, then viewed the contents of the dat files after restarting. I know the files will be there, but why do they continue to contain the same information as was present prior to cleaning? Shouldn't they be empty? All the internet sites, etc., are still showing up.

Would not using admin level login be the issue? Another thought might be that Dat Spy is somehow remembering what the files look like, can that be cleared out?

Thanks for your help. :D
bushido

Postby bushido » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:40 pm

This is odd. Even after running Cleanup while logged with admin level permissions the dat files are not empty, they still show all info after several days of surfing the net. Any ideas?
bushido

Return to CleanUp! General Discussion