Backing up

For support & general discussion of Windows CleanUp!

Moderator: rec46

Backing up

Postby james41 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:53 pm

The instructions for the program make it clear that your hard drive should be backed up before you start using Cleanup. How does anybody do that with 20 Gb of drive in use and no other hard drive available to offload that to? Committing to CD's would mean 35-40 of them!

Any ideas welcpme,
James
james41

Postby rec46 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:10 pm

james41,

I would say you have a bit of a problem but there is one thing I know you can do if you would be willing to take the time. There are servers on the web you can use and be able to put anything you want from your computer to the servers system. I have done that for a long time now and it does help. As long as you log in to the server couple weeks or so, your account will stay active and you will not loose anything you store there. By doing this you would be able to delete the ones from your computer which would give you more space for a backup.

One more thing. Not many people believe in backing up their computer as it is suggested on the download page then they wonder why they lost important files when they ran CleanUp. You could do the same if you wanted. One thing really good about the new version is that you are able to run CleanUp in a test type mode and then the program will show you a list of everything it is going to delete once you run it in the regular mode. With this information you are about to prevent it from deleting files that you do not want deleted.

I hope this helps you.

Bob
rec46

Postby EBTuttle » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:30 pm

Hi James!

You actually have a few options. Probably the easiest way to backup an existing drive is to purchase an external USB hard drive. These are available fairly inexpensively and files can simply be copied over. This is a good idea even if not running Cleanup since hard drives do fail. I learned my lesson of not backing up a few years back when my hard drive crashed and I lost all of my data (including about 2 months worth of programming on a software program that I was creating).

Another option is running the backup program within Windows. This is found by going to Start-->Programs-->Accessories-->System Tools-->Backup. You can choose whether to back up everything on your hard drive or just certain files or directories. This compresses the files so, even though you have 20 gig used, the backup will not be that large. For instance on the most recent backup that I ran, a complete backup of 14 gig of data was backed up in an 11 gig file. I know that would still take several CD's, but not as many as if you were just transferring files.

Another option is to use system restore for settings and just backup important files to cd's. This is not the best solution, but is better than no backup at all. Hope this helps a little!

:-) Erin
EBTuttle

Also...

Postby EBTuttle » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:39 am

Hi,

I just wanted to add that after you have done a full backup once, an incremental can be done after that. This will just backup files that have changed or been created since the full backup, and therefore, the backup file will not be as large. I forgot to put that on my original post.

:) Erin
EBTuttle

Postby sgould » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:44 am

You could consider purchasing an external drive for your backups. For example, Maxtor has a range of such drives available in it's OneTouch family. LaCie also has some external drives available. There are several other similar options too from other manufacturers.

I'm not trying to recommend any specific one since I've not used any of them myself. I'm just suggesting this as an approach to backing up a large amount of files.

Steve
sgould
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to CleanUp! General Discussion