CleanUp freezes

For support & general discussion of Windows CleanUp!

Moderator: rec46

CleanUp freezes

Postby riserman » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:28 pm

Recently, CleanUp 4.0 has begun to freeze at the "Prefetch" stage. Then the program refuses to cancel. The only way out is to use the Task Manager to force it to quit. I'm running Windows XP Pro (SP2) and have uninstalled & reinstalled CleanUp three times all to no avail.

What's wrong?

Bob
riserman

Postby EBTuttle » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:12 am

Have you tried running in safe mode?

:-) Erin
EBTuttle

CleanUp Freezes

Postby riserman » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:29 am

Thanks Erin, but I'm sorry to report it didn't work.

Tried running CleanUp in Safe Mode with exactly the same results. In the "Prefetch" stage, CleanUp freezes and goes no further. By "freeze" I mean thirty minutes of no visible activity. Only by using Task Manager can I turn off CleanUp and return to the desktop.

Steven, what's wrong.

Bob
riserman

Postby rec46 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:20 am

Bob,

I don't know if this will do you and good or not but I'll try.

As I'm mentioned many times in the past, I have had only one or two times in the many years of using CleanUp that it messed with my PC in any way but one of the things it did was as you are speaking of. When I had this problem I was stumped so I decided to run all of my PC cleaning programs. I had 3 of them then but now I have a total of 7 not including CleanUP. After running all my cleaning programs my freezing problem stopped. I have not had that problem since. As I said though, I now have 8 cleaning programs total and I run them all every couple days. This may seem like a lot of trouble to some people but it works for me and I seldom have a problem.

I hope this is of some use/help to you.

Bob
rec46

Postby EBTuttle » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:18 pm

Yes, that is basically the same thing that I was going ask. Are you running anti-spyware software?

:-) Erin
EBTuttle

Postby rec46 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:19 pm

Hi Erin,

Yes, I'm running anti-spyware. The name of the anti-spyware is "Spyware Doctor" and I'm also running "Trojan Guard Gold Version". Those are just 2 of the 7 programs I'm running. Well, 6 now because I'm going to do away with washandgo. That messed up my computer and I just got it back from the shop and they told me washandgo did the damage. I don't recommend using it.

Bob
rec46

Re: CleanUp Freezes

Postby sgould » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:53 am

riserman wrote:Tried running CleanUp in Safe Mode with exactly the same results. In the "Prefetch" stage, CleanUp freezes and goes no further. By "freeze" I mean thirty minutes of no visible activity. Only by using Task Manager can I turn off CleanUp and return to the desktop.

Are you able to delete most/all of the Prefetch files manually via Windows Explorer? If so, do that then try running CleanUp! and checking that it gets paste that point. It may be that there is one of the Prefetch files - I don't know which - that is causing a problem. This may also be some kind of interaction between one of your anti-virus or anti-spyware programs and CleanUp! (though I'm not aware of anything like this).

Steve
sgould
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to CleanUp! General Discussion